Friday, November 30, 2012

Behind the Scenes at the Salvation Army



It's a 5 mile bike commute to the Salvation Army headquarters in New Bedford, Ma where my job has me driving the bell ringers to their assigned stores.  This on the new Single Speed I bought last weekend in Maine.

A look behind the scenes could be of interest to some.

We all meet up in the basement of the building.  Outside there is always a line of people waiting to apply for assistance.  They have to go through quite a bit to prove they are poor with documents, IDs and for some, recommendations form other aid organizations.    The bell ringers are the ones who go out and raise most of the money so the Salvation Army can provide those families standing in line a chance to have a better Christmas for them and their kids.

Showing the love

A candid shot

Waiting for their assignment.

Bell Ringer gathering.

The Major prepping the kettles.


On the ride home I took a detour that brought me to the shipyard district for a look a shipyards in the winter.




Block Island, R.I. ferry

In dry dock for the winter

Provincetown, MA  Whale Watching Fleet

No comments:

Post a Comment