Monday, June 1, 2009



There was a chill in the air at the 6AM start of the commute. Low 40's got a few "brrrs" out of me. By the time I got to the Asylum the temperature had warmed considerably.

On the homeward part of the commute I came across a new walker in the abandoned State School. Usually it's the same couples and dog walkers, but today, "fresh meat". I zoomed in with my camera to get the shot below trying to bring the road in close for a unique perspective. You can see what I'm talking about if you click the photo to make it big.

As I approached from behind I wondered if by making a noise I would scare her. I decided to veer to the right as far away from her as I could and pass by silently. If she didn't notice till I was past, she would see that it's just a bike rider. Wouldn't you know, just as I was passing she glanced to the right, looked ahead and quickly snapped back looking to her right again. Through my peripheral vision I saw her jump, gasp and her hands went up in a defensive posture. I'm pretty sure she thought I was a deer ten feet away from her ready to pounce.

I thought about apologizing, or saying something to lighten the mood, but being on a bike, the indecision let me get away without saying a word. I rode stiff in the saddle looking straight ahead without emotion as long as I could. First I smiled, then chuckled and finally guffawed. I don't scare people intentionally usually, but do find the reactions very funny sometimes. Especially when I try to imagine what they could be thinking.
This walker has a story to tell. he he

1 comment:

  1. This is why I like my i-pod speakers. Admittedly I see less wildlife but I don't scare the humans if I approach while pedaling (If I coast the Phil Hub touring hub makes enough noise to scare anything).

    ReplyDelete