Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Letter Boxing



On this full moon walk, Brandon and I went on a letter box search in town. I found out today that there were a half dozen letterboxes placed within walking distance of our homes. Why not add the hunt to the evening walk? Brandon took along his buddy Nate and off we went.

The photos were taken by flashlight in the overgrown box location that was once a baseball field for the Atlas Tack nail factory. Atlas Tack is a super fund sight that has the following paragraph on the government "scorecard"

The groundwater is contaminated with CYANIDE and TOLUENE that leached from the site lagoons. The on-site soil is contaminated with VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS (VOCS), including TOLUENE and ethyl benzene; HEAVY METALS, including CHROMIUM, CADMIUM, LEAD, and nickel; pesticides; POLYCHLORINATED BIPHENYLS (PCBS); and polycyclic aromatic HYDROCARBONS (PAHS). Trespassers are at risk through direct contact with contaminated soil or ingestion of shellfish in the area

Nice. But we did find the box and signed ourselves as "amidnightrider and the kid"


This may become a regular offering in my travels. Looking up clues, finding and signing into letterboxes.

5 comments:

  1. I'll look into this letterboxing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter was into letterboxing a few years back. We would work it into our vacations and it was great at keeping up her enthusiasm. It might be fun to combine bike/day touring with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I need to get out more. Pay more attention to what is hip at the moment. I had no clue about letter boxing. It sounds like a real hoot. It also has a sinister and anti government feel to it. Secret messages passed from one stranger to another in receptacles placed in public areas. I wonder if this is making the NSA nervous.

    Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did some research on letterbox locations in my area. And what do I find? Someone has placed two in the Mary's Park across the road from my house. I was the first person to sign in.

    There are advantages to having riddeen a mountain bike in this area for over 20 years. The others I noticed in the area will be easy to find. I know where they are and even some short cuts to cut out the hassle of a long walk. My next goal is coming up with my own personal stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be a good human being is to procure a amiable of openness to the in the seventh heaven, an ability to trusteeship aleatory things beyond your own restrain, that can take you to be shattered in very exceptionally circumstances as which you were not to blame. That says something remarkably outstanding with the prerequisite of the principled compulsion: that it is based on a conviction in the unpredictable and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a weed than like a sparkler, something rather fragile, but whose extremely particular attraction is inseparable from that fragility.

    ReplyDelete