Saturday, March 10, 2007

Rider Down

One of my fellow bike bloggers was taken out last week in Kansas City. He doesn't look too bad after going a round with a big ole SUV. He is ok, but it will be a few days before he is riding again. On the other side of the world, I am just now starting my commutes. Today may have been the last racquetball day for a while. That's too bad, because I am really playing well.

Tomorrow I'll get a good ride in (with photos) before the "Minister of Finance" and I sit down and get the taxes done. I have been using TaxACT. It has several free programs, but I have so many form to fill in, it's necessary to use the Deluxe Edition. It does give me state and electronic filing with the purchase.

A couple of days ago there was a very controversial immigration raid up the road a bit, in New Bedford. Lots of children were left stranded, when their parents were shipped all over the country to holding pens.

Although I don't know any of these people personally, I very often meet them on the roads as we pass each other on our bikes. Being a very big fan of everything soccer, I have stopped to watch many a game being played by these workers. Most are Mayan descendants and all of them are very nice people. They must have been, and probably still are terrified. I just can't imaging going through that. Homeland Security gone amuck.

It's very ironic that this factory was making backpacks and other things for the US Government. A government inspector was on the property every day. I am guessing that the order was filled and it was time for a layoff. Like the raids on the vineyards and farms around the country, that occur right after the harvest. Coincidence, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment