Monday, February 5, 2007

Cold Sunday Night

Riding always feels colder than walking to me. I haven't been on the bike much and haven't commuted for almost four months. Last night, after work, I did a couple of hours walking around the bike trail and side streets. It was single digit temps with a clear sky.


Saturday night I saw the full moon low in the sky. It was so big and bright that it looked like it was right at the end of the street. That convinced me to walk some extra miles. One regular route heads west at the bottom of my street. The other, east. Both are just under two miles round trip. The west route brings me to the business district along the bike path, the east route brings me to the farmland and loops back to the bike path, through the woods. I took the western route and made a point of circling the buildings so I could walk along the windows of Applebees. In full winter gear of fleece jacket and vest, hat, full face mask and yellow tinted glasses. It got me quite a few worried looks form the patrons. As intended, I like to play with the terrorist worriers. It seems like only yesterday, the "commies" were going to destroy us. Now it's al Queda.


It was just getting dark when I continued past the house and back onto the bike path for an additional two miles. The problem was that the moon doesn't rise till around eight. At seven oclock or so, I was in the middle of the woods, hearing lots of noises from the trees on both sides. "Ya know", I said to my self, I think I'll jog a bit. Once I got out of the canopy of the wooded area, the sky was able to brighten things up a little.


Independent Lens was showing an encore presentation of it's two Thursday shows.


Beyond the Call
In an Indiana Jones-meets-Mother Teresa adventure, three middle-aged men, former soldiers and modern-day knights, travel the world delivering life-saving humanitarian aid directly into the hands of civilians and doctors. Ed Artis, James Laws and Walt Ratterman inspire through deeds, not words, in some of the most dangerous yet beautiful places on Earth -- the front lines of war. more




Twisted
This film tells the stories of people who live with dystonia, a neurological disorder that forces muscles to twist into abnormal, often painful, movements or postures. Pat Brogan, a basketball coach and triathlete who developed dystonia after a bike accident; Shari Tritt, whose dystonia affects her whole body; and Remy Campbell, an artist who gambled on a radical form of brain surgery -- and won --try to answer the question, "When you are trapped inside your body, what will set you free?" more



END.

No comments:

Post a Comment